Skelmorlie and Wemyss Bay - World War II

of 6
31 views
PDF
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.
Document Description
A short history of events in and around Skelmorlie and Wemyss Bay during World War II, including the personalities who found refuge in Castle Wemyss, home of Lord Inverclyde and details of the wartime Clyde Steamer services and how the local hotels provided accommodation for the Wrens and other military personnel.
Document Share
Document Tags
Document Transcript
  1 SKELMORLIE and WEMYSS BAY in World War II   By 1930 seven houses had been built on Station Hill  which, in spite of protests from the owners was closed to vehicletraffic and, by 1939, the three rows of bungalows adjoining had been completed and a start had been made at Innes Park Road , forty new houses being built there by the end of that year, a further twenty more were built after the war.In June 1936 Emperor Haile Selassie of Abyssinia , The Lion of Judah, visited Lord Inverclyde at Castle Wemyss,together with his sons The Crown Prince and The Duke of Harar. He made quite a figure dressed in a lawn cloak, grey trousers, brown suede shoes and wearing a bowler hat. He planted a maple tree at the castle to commemorate his visit andreturned to Castle Wemyss about a year later, remaining there throughout the war until his country had been liberatedfrom the Italians - In 1943 Lord Inverclyde was also host to the exiled King Peter of Yugoslavia .  War against Germany was declared on Sunday, September 3, 1939 and the anti-submarine boom betweenDunoon and the Cloch lighthouse was again put in place, as it had been in the previous war, the Clyde steamerservices reduced to a minimum . The steamers’ windows boarded up and the saloon lights on permanently, all were fitted now with steel wheel-houses,their hulls and superstructures painted grey and their after decks cleared of their familiar buoyancy apparatus seats to make way for cargo. Above the boom, the “ Lucy Ashton ” was assigned the four times daily Craigendoran - Kilcreggan - Hunter’s Quay - Kirn- Dunoon service, she would make occasional calls at Clynder till 1943 and also be rostered to make connections atGourock. The “ Marchioness of Lorne ”, based at Kilmun, would operate the Ardnadam - Strone - Blairmore - Kilcreggan -Gourock - Hunter’s Quay - Kirn - Dunoon service, a complex roster which saw her making three, essentially, round tripson weekdays, four on Saturdays - The turbine steamer “ Queen Mary II ” was assigned to the Gourock - Dunoon run,though, in October 1939, the roster was srcinally operated from Hunter’s Quay and included a daily sailing to the Holy Loch and Kilmun.Below the boom, the turbine steamer “ Duchess of Montrose ”, also often serving on the Stranraer - Larne run too tilllate July 1940, took up the four times daily Rothesay - Wemyss Bay service assisted by the turbine steamer “ Marchionessof Graham ” which, although ostensibly operating from Fairlie to Millport and Brodick, also covered some sailings from Wemyss Bay to Innellan and Rothesay, the turbine steamer “ Glen Sannox (II) ” being the mainstay of the Fairlie -Millport - Brodick - Ardrossan service. The “ Saint Columba ” which, as the “ Queen Alexandra (II) ” in World War I had rammed and sunk the Germansubmarine “ UC-78 ” off Cherbourg on Thursday, May 9, 1918, now covered the Rothesay - Colintraive - Tighnabruiach - Tarbert - Ardrishaig mail service, the October 1939 rail and steamer timetable finds the outward (inward) timings asGlasgow Central 0835 (1851), Wemyss Bay arrive 0933 (return departure 1750), Wemyss Bay 0948 (1700), Rothesay 1015(1630), Colintraive 1040 (1540), Tighnabruiach 1055 (1525), Tarbert 1155 (1425) and Ardrishaig 1240 (1345).In November 1939, she was requisitioned for use as the Boom Defence headquarters’ ship at Greenock, the now repaireddiesel-electric “ Lochfyne ” taking over the mail run - Wemyss Bay became the terminus for the Campbeltown company’s“ Dalriada ” and “ Davaar ”. The older Clyde paddle steamers, the “  Waverley (III) ”, “ Marmion ”, “ Duchess of Fife ”, “ Duchess of Rothesay ” and“ Eagle III ”, re-named the “ Oriole ”, were assigned to the 12th Minesweeping Flotilla at Harwich, its flagship being the“ Queen Empress ”. The newer paddle steamers, the “  Juno ”, “  Jupiter ” and the “ Caledonia ”, renamed respectively “ Helvellyn ”,“ Scawfell ” and “ Goatfell ” and the “ Mercury ”, under her own name, joined the 11th Minesweeping Flotilla at MilfordHaven.  2 The “  Jeanie Deans ” too was sent on mine-sweeping duties serving first as flotilla flagship, based at Irvine and then to jointhe 11th Flotilla at Milford Haven - The diesel-electric paddler “  Talisman ” which, like the diesel-electric “ Lochfyne ”,had been out of service, broken down, at the start of the war, was repaired and, renamed “  Aristocrat ”, sent south as aBofors Gun Ship - Both the “ King Edward ” and the “ Duchess of Argyll ” remained above the anti-submarine boom torelieve on the Gourock - Dunoon service and act as troopship-tenders at The Tail of The Bank. The “ Duchess of Montrose ”, certificated to carry 400 military personnel and 250 civilian passengers, was sent to coverthe Stranraer to Larne run at the end of September 1939 but, within the month, the Sea Transport Officer had her sentback to Gourock being persuaded that her ‘sister’, the “ Duchess of Hamilton ”, fitted with a bow-rudder might be bettersuited to the harbours, the “ Duchess of Hamilton ”, then arriving at the end of October, would, in addition to carrying troops, cover the mail service for the “ Princess Margaret ”, temporarily out of service with engine problems, betweenDecember 11 and 13, 1939. The “ Duchess of Hamilton ”, a quasi-sister of the “ Duchess of Montrose ”, was overhauled at her builder’s yard,Harland & Wolff of Belfast in February 1940. Just as well for in April 1940, the 53rd Welsh Division was moved fromSouth Wales via Stranraer to Northern Ireland, a move involving some 11,000 troops and their baggage and a precautionagainst a possible German invasion of neutral Eire - From the middle of the summer of 1940, continual troopmovements after the evacuation of Dunkirk and many personnel going home on leave, led to both the “ Duchess of Hamilton ” and the “ Duchess of Montrose ” working the Stranraer crossing during June and July 1940. They were both relieved by the Denny-built Thames excursion motor-ship “ Royal Daffodil ”, the “ Duchess of Montrose ” returning to the Wemyss Bay - Rothesay run at the end of July and the “ Duchess of Hamilton ” returning toGourock in October 1940 being recalled to Stranraer as needed.However, in May 1941 an event was to take place which had the most far-reaching effects, not only during the remaining years of war, but on those that followed, the Germans bombing Greenock on the nights of Tuesday and Wednesday May 6 and 7, 1941, missing Greenock's shipyards and killing 280 people, injuring another 1,200 and destroying 1,000 homes. While families fled over the hills to Skelmorlie, others were officially evacuated to the district, The Press reporting that thepopulation has trebled in Skelmorlie and Wemyss Bay since the raid 'on a Clydeside town'. The billeting authority acted quickly and courageously requisitioning The Athletic Association's Recreation Hall and the twochurch halls in addition to the Public School and the Mission Hall which had already been scheduled as rest centres.Many householders offered accommodation, some taking four or five people and, at one point, the official figures of evacuees were 288 adults and 384 children - This was in addition to 50 private adult evacuees with 90 children and there were also a considerable number of whom there was no record and few houses were without evacuees from the cities.Innes Park Road, so named in 1941, was the first road in Skelmorlie to have an official name, which in this respect makesit a hundred years behind Wemyss Bay.In wartime the military authorities had the power to requisition property 'in the national interest' and at an early stage in the war had done just that around Largs and Skelmorlie, 'The Moorings', opposite Largs Pier, requisitioned for offices andnumerous hotels then taken over as billets for officers and wrens etc. - Hollywood Hotel , in Largs, almost immediately becoming the headquarters of the Rear Admiral Commanding Northern Patrol and a Naval Hospital.Prior to taking over the estates at Achnacarry, Commando training was carried out in the Clyde Area at two mainlocations, the first in the grounds of  Kelburn Estate , just south of Largs and the second in the area around Inveraray onLoch Fyne, the home of The Duke of Argyll. The first ever Commando assault course was built in the grounds of the Kelburn Estate and a modified version is still usedby the local Greenock based detachment of The Royal Marine Reserve - The first Commando 'speed march' route,planned by No 3 Commando, was from Kemp's car park at Largs pier-head to the tea room on the left of the main street,at the south end of Fairlie, about 200 yards north of the present 30 mph speed limit. A large training centre at Inveraray , HMS Quebec I , specialising in the training of Naval and Army personnel in 'minor'    3landing craft operations and a training flotilla of craft stationed in the area for that purpose, was commissioned onOctober 15, 1940 (it 'paid off' July 1, 1946), 'Combined Operations' too carrying out small boat training there till January 1943 when this section transferred south to Dartmouth. A year later, on October 11, 1941, HMS Quebec I , took over Hollywood Hotel, till then the headquarters of the Rear Admiral Commanding Northern Patrol and a Naval Hospital, Hollywood then becoming the headquarters of the Joint AirMinistry and Naval staff and Flag of the Commandant, Combined Training Centre, Inveraray (HMS Quebec I) - Itredesignated HMS Quebec II on March 10, 1942, as Vice Admiral Combined Training, a 'Combined Ops' Centre formainly administrative purposes. Scotsman Thursday 4th September 1941 - Page 8 - MERCHANT SAILORS LOST - Many Scots in CasualtyList - A total of 477 names of members of the Merchant Navy and Fishing Fleets who have died by enemy action on various dates is contained in a list published by the Ministry of of War Transport to-day. There are also the names of 51men who are presumed to have been lost, the vessels on which they were serving being overdue. Among them are 19masters, two skippers, six chief engineers, and seven first engineers. Amongst the Scots, P. L. Dodds, assistant cook,Stanlane, Skelmorlie, Ayrshire .   Scotsman Wednesday 10th June 1942 - Page 3 - Ayrshire Headmasterships Short leets for threeheadmasterships in Ayrshire were interviewed at the meeting of the Education Commitee at Ayr yesterday, Mr JohnKennedy, Skelmorlie, to be head of Beith Academy (10 teachers) .   Scotsman Wednesday 19th August 1942 - Page 6 - RUSSIA CONVOY ATTACK C.B.E. for Glasgow Skipper's Work as Commodore   Captain William H. C. Lawrence, of 27 Riccarton Street, Glasgow, who last January received the O.B.E. for heroism when his ship was attacked by a bomber, has now been awarded the C.B.E. for his work while master of a ship in a convoy to Russia. The convoy was subjected to heavy and continuous attack from the air from surface craft and from submarines. TheCommodore's ship was sunk and Captain Lawrence, who was acting as Vice Commodore, took over the duties and, stateslast night's London Gazette, performed them with signal success during the remainder of a very arduous operation. On the return passage, he was Commodore throughout and again showed sterling qualities to which the escape of theconvoy, from no fewer than five attacks by German destroyers, was largely due, for under his orders it acted in perfectco-ordination with the escorts. Scottish recipients of other awards included Captain Samuel M. Lamont, master, Uig , Montgomery Drive,Skelmorlie, Ayrshire, he being awarded an O.B.E . .   On April 1, 1942, HMS Monck  , the headquarters, under a flag officer, for 'Combined Training', was commissioned (it'paid off' on September 30, 1946) and set up in Largs.HMS Monck, being variously located in Largs, Port Glasgow and Roseneath, has a somewhat confusing history becauseof changes in its location and function. At Port Glasgow it was concerned with aircraft-carrier training while also serving asa Royal Navy Barracks and landing craft base and at Roseneath was an ICE (?) school by 1944.Based at the harbour in the centre of Port Glasgow, the facility was used for the construction, assembly and repair of troop landing craft - In 1943, to facilitate landing craft training exercises, concrete ramps were built along the shore roadat the entrance to Lord Inverclyde's estate in Wemyss Bay and a 'basin' dug out at the entrance of the River Kip, 'TheBasin' triggering the idea for today's Kip Marina . The establishment's shore billets were located south east of the town on the high ground known locally as High Carnegie,the area re-developed after the war being referred to as 'The Holy Family' area.Six months after the commissioning of HMS Monck, came HMS Warren , also known as the No 4 Combined Training Centre or C.T.C. Largs, the Senior Officers training centre for 'Combined Operations', which catered for the training   4needs of all three services and, commissioned on October 10, 1942 (it 'paid off' on December 31, 1946), was also theheadquarters of the Rear Admiral Combined Operations Base (WA) and the Flag Officer commanding overseas assaultforces.HMS Warren, also known as the No 4 Combined Training Centre or C.T.C. Largs, the Senior Officers training centre for'Combined Operations', which catered for the training needs of all three services, which was commissioned on October10, 1942 (it 'paid off' on December 31, 1946), was also the headquarters of the Rear Admiral Combined Operations Base(WA) and the Flag Officer commanding overseas assault forces, part of HMS Warren based at the Hollywood Hotel and, within C.T.C. Largs, the RAF base, RAF Vanduara , based of course at the  Vanduara Hotel in Largs, the two storey building situated at the north end of the grassed area of sea front, nearly opposite the Barrfields/Vikingar area.During the early part of WWII, Vanduara was the srcinal base of the newly formed Combined Operations HQ under thecommand of Admiral Keyes who was succeeded, at this same location, by Mountbatten. The story is told of the the plumber and his mate who had occasion to repair Vanduara's central heating system. Walking down a corridor, a naval officer approached them and as he passed, he acknowledged them with a brief How's it going boys ? to which they replied Fine Sir, how's yersel ? and they walked on - Moments later, walking into a room, theboys were confronted by a large painting of the naval officer they had just spoken too in such a casual manner,Mountbatten himself ! HMS Copra  was an acronym for 'Combined Operations Pay, Ratings and Accounts', a shore based establishment set upto process the pay and allowances of Royal Navy personnel serving in Combined Operations in WWII, parts of it locatedin London and Southend as well as at 'The Moorings', opposite Largs Pier.Commissioned on August 30, 1943 at Chelsea Court, London, HMS Copra's drafting office moved first to Southend inNovember 1943 and then to Largs at the beginning of October 1945, the pay office moving from London to Largs at thebeginning of August 1944 and Largs was finally closed at the end of 1946 as the mass demobilisation came to an end. The Largs base employed around 300 Wrens and 300 Chief Petty Officers/Petty Officers working in 15 sections, eachcomprising around 20 Wrens and 20 CPOs and POs under the general command of a Captain and a Commander and eachsection headed by a Lieutenant responsible for an alphabetical sequence of surnames - Wrens selected for these dutiesunderwent a 3 week training course in Leeds and those who were high achievers in the end of course examination, weregiven the rank of Leading Wren with a commensurate increase in pay.Known as 'pay writers' and doing a job similar to a modern day wages clerk, the wrens calculated the pay due to the servicepersonnel themselves, others being involved in calculating the 'allotments' due to dependent relatives and authorising thepayments - The going rate was 4 shillings and 9 pence (about 25p) plus 'grog' (rum) money per day, the most difficult of cases, which required further investigation, handled by the more senior ranks - Pay books did not pass through Copra asa general rule but when they did they were duly stamped to that effect and the location of the actual posting of the RoyalNavy personnel was also noted in the book. There was a steady stream of work as information arrived each morning on new postings to Combined Operations and onchanges to existing postings, both of which required pay entitlements to be assessed or re-assessed and in essence pay,once calculated, remained the same unless and until changes affecting entitlement were received, the most commonamongst these were changes in rank and postings. The working conditions in 'The Moorings' were seemingly pretty good. Each section sat about 20 or so each side of a long table with the 'Opo' at the head, the room open plan, well lit, warm and the seating comfortable, the hours from 9 am to5 pm Monday to Saturday and 9am to 12 noon on Sunday, one week in three finishing at 12 noon on the Saturday. A large number of the Wrens were billetted at the Skelmorlie Hydro , the hotel probably accommodating 200-300 Wrens,three to a room and there were three Nissen huts in the grounds, each accommodating 12 Wrens and a Chief Petty Officer, a fourth Nissen hut provided for their 'ablutions' and the best accommodation, in the hotel itself, allocated on afirst come first served basis. Transport to and from work was provided by the Royal Navy's own buses, Wrens returning to 'The Hydro' for lunch and,
We Need Your Support
Thank you for visiting our website and your interest in our free products and services. We are nonprofit website to share and download documents. To the running of this website, we need your help to support us.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support.

No, Thanks
SAVE OUR EARTH

We need your sign to support Project to invent "SMART AND CONTROLLABLE REFLECTIVE BALLOONS" to cover the Sun and Save Our Earth.

More details...

Sign Now!

We are very appreciated for your Prompt Action!

x